Travel Plans

Querida Familia,

I got my travel plans yesterday and I leave March 2nd at 4 in the morning from the MTC! Bah! It is really weird to think that I am already leaving this place, but at the same time I feel like I have been here for a really long time. I am excited. We are going to fly to Ohio and then to Paris and then to Lisbon, so we will get there on the 3rd of March with all of the time changes and layovers. There are eight of us going--four elders and four sisters.

News of the week: One of my companions got her visa and she left for Brazil this past Monday, so it has just been me and Irma Morrison now. It is good to try to get used to one companion. I have to admit, having two companions was an adventure, but I could really get used to having just one.

Here are the answers to questions:

1. If you have time, tell me what an average day is like for you. What time do you get up? I get up everyday at the latest 6:15. I know, shocking but it is completely true. They have this exercise class for sisters early in the morning where you can go run, play volleyball, do kickboxing, or whatever is planned at 6, so sometimes my companion and I go and play (she played volleyball in college so it is way fun to play with her)

2. What is your first class? Our schedule is kind of different everyday, but we have TRC on Thursday mornings and the rest of the days we have class in the morning with Irmao Okazaki.

3. Do all the sisters meet for PE together (like they did in my day) or do you have separate classes? Nope, sisters are put into gym class with a bunch of elders. There are only like 8 sisters in our gym period and about 65 elders. But, the gym is really big and it is fun to play volleyball with the elders.

4. Do you have PE every day? We have PE everyday except for Sundays and Fridays (P-days).

5. How much time do you spend in your classroom every day? All day, everyday pretty much. My classroom is basically my home. But, it is fun, my district is awesome and we all like each other and make it fun.

6. Do you have a morning and an afternoon teacher or do they do it on separate days? Morning teacher: Irmao Okazaki and afternoon: Irmao Cotterell. They are great. I really like each of them. They remind me of my roommates because one has the exact personality of Lynda and the other has the exact personality of Kim--very creepy sometimes, but way fun. I feel like I have known them for forever. And they really like it when I ask them questions about Portuguese.

7. Do your teachers have to coordinate their lessons or do they teach you
different things?
They coordinate their lessons with what they want to teach us, and they have weekly interviews with us so we can give input on what we want to learn. It is awesome.

8. Do you have study halls scheduled where your whole branch studies at the same time? We have what is called MDT (missionary directed time) and we have it after dinner every night where we have to do personal study, comp study and language study plus other classes we want to sign up for, lessons we want to teach, etc.

9. How long are your classes? Average of about 3 hours every block--we are usually in class for about 6-8 hours a day.

Anyway, Irma Morrison and I have been working on teaching in Portuguese. We taught four lesson yesterday and then I thought my brain was going to explode! No, but it was really good. And we even taught these elders who were from Brazil and were learning Japanese. They spoke really fast, but they were really nice to us. I just have the feeling that I will have no idea what is going on when I get to Portugal because we have yet to hear a native Portugal Portuguese speaker. Oh well, I'll live. The Portuguese is coming. I get impatient, but then I realize I have only been doing this for 2 months. It's ok, I really am getting it. My teachers keep telling me that they haven't seen a district catch on as fast as ours has before. So, I guess that is good!

Anyway, time is running out. I love you all--thank you for absolutely everything! I feel like I am in a dream, but then I realize that life really can be this good--seriously, everyday!

Love to the moon and back,

Irma Perez

p.s.--yes, I will probably send stuff home, especially since my companion loves to give me clothes she doesn't want, so I keep accumulating things... :)

Comments

Popular Posts