Splits

(Note from Denise: Kim or Lynda, could you please send Sabrina Abbey Carson's address if you have it? You can send a comment to Sabrina's blog and I'll forward it if you perfer. Thanks!)

My dear family and friends,

Ola! How is everybody? Things in Portugal are just as great as ever :)

Before I get to the good stuff, I have a couple of favors to ask. Could you send me the addresses to:
Abbey Carson
Emily Albright
Vitoria Brasil mission because I want to write a Sister that was in the MTC with us, and she is in that mission.

If that is possible, that would be great!

Basically, I learned SOOO much this week! Irma Coelho and Irma Morrison (my old comp) are staying with us right now in Oeiras. They are supposed to be opening a new area, but due to difficulties finding a house and having the gas and water work in the house, they are staying with us for a week or so. So, it has been interesting.... (meaning the food/sleeping/shower situation) but really, it's been good. Irma Nkutxi and Coelho knew each other before the mission and are both from Angola and they were comps in the MTC. So, it's kind of like been a big reunion.
But, I have learned so much because we have been going on splits everyday, and so this has been my chance to step up to the plate and show Irma Coelho the area. It has been good, we've gotten lost (of course), but I have gotten used to asking people for directions, and the best part is that I actually understand what they are saying back. I feel like every week that I am here my Portuguese improves drastically. Oh, and it was so good to learn from Irma Coelho. She has taught me a lot of things that I can do to be a better missionary and contact people better. We all have talents in the mission and Irma Coelho's talent is definitely finding people to teach. So, we have lots of new potential investigators.

But, the best miracle of the week: It was late on Saturday night (around 9:15) and we were heading to our house because we thought it was too late to be knocking doors, so we just decided we would do street contacts until 9:30. So, we saw this guy walking, but he was listening to music. When people listen to music here, they usually don't listen to us when we try to talk to them. So, I was just going to pass this guy by, but Irma Coelho went straight up to him and started waving in his face and shouting, Ola, Ola! I was kind of taken aback by this, and so was the guy. We started talking to him about the gospel and he said he had studied the bible. We invited him, Valdir, to go to church on Sunday (the next morning). I tried explaining the chapel to him, but it is kind of hard to explain in English, let alone Portuguese, and finally I had the feeling that I should just tell him that we could go with him to church. So, I asked, will you meet us here tomorrow and we can walk with you to church? He said yes. So the next morning, we met him there and he went to church with us and it was so great because he really liked church and has a lot of interest. So, we are going to teach him this week. My comp wants to baptize him as soon as possible (because she thinks she is going to be transferred from this area), but we'll see what happens...Valdir is really nice and very accepting. And, he understands my Portuguese :)

We have also had lots of other golden contacts this week, so we have lots of work to do to get these people to church and understand the gospel and change their lives and ultimately save their souls :) Basically, that is missionary work.

Our recent convert, Jose, is just great. He wants to do the right things and one day receive the priesthood (sacerdocio). He says that sisters have the sisterdocio (Kim would like that one--very punny). It is so great to see people progress and change their lives.

It sounds like things are slowing down at home for spring break--yeah for breaks :)

My advice for missionaries [zone conference luncheon] is something plentiful and good--mac and cheese and hamburger casserole works.

That is great that your [YW] activity went so well. I would definitely advise planning in advance. I am definitely learning the importance of planning out my life because everything seems to run more smoothly when you are prepared.

The fridge is amazing--my comp loves making jell-o (gelatin) para nos. She actually does most of the cooking because she likes to make things Angolan style, which is fine by me. So, we have leftovers (but we all know how big of a fan I am of leftovers...), but I am totally learning to eat them and love it. :) My health has been great--don't even worry, the Lord blesses missionaries.
Don't worry about sending piano books. I don't think that I am going to teach piano, because I think we need to focus on our investigators right now. So, I'll try to get an Irma in our ward who knows how to play a little to teach the kids.

Anyway, life is great. I tried praying in English the other day, since I haven't prayed in English for almost three months, but I couldn't do it! I hope that is a good sign that I am becoming fluent. I kept slipping into Portuguese.

Thanks for everything. I think of what you all have taught me all the time. And I am totally grateful. The work is moving forward. Much love,

Fica bem,

Irma Perez

Comments

  1. Soeur Carson Les Missionaries
    7 Rue Blanche Apt. 34
    59000 Lille
    France

    She said that this would work for letters and packages.
    Thanks for always posting Sabrina's emails. It is great to hear how things are going every week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts