Dear Fred,

Dear Fred,

I remember the first time I saw you. We were in Linear Algebra. You came in and sat a chair away from me. I introduced myself to you because I didn't know anyone in the class, and it appeared that you didn't either. Soon we became friends: math buddies. We would always sit next to each other, talk about math, our crazy lives as college students, and trying to survive Linear Algebra. You seriously always brightened my day. Even Linear Algebra was bearable with a math buddy there to turn to when all I could say was, "Huh?" and I really wanted to say, "What the freak is going on?"

One particular day, we had a test in Linear Algebra. It was actually a terrible day. I had so much work to do, and on top of that study for hours for a test I knew I would probably fail, but then get a curve and it wouldn't be so bad. It was kind of an emotional roller coaster for me. And I am sure you could read that from the expression on my face--you always were perceptive like that.
Anyway, you asked me when I was going to take the test. I think I sighed one of those "I-don't-really-want-to-think-about-it" sighs and I just said, "I'm taking it today, even though I am totally not ready for it."

Later that day, I went and took the test. It was BRUTAL, like all the tests were for that class. I started down the stairs of the testing center, ready to meet the low score that awaited me, when I caught my name written in pencil on a lined sheet of paper folded in half...

There it was--my name in all caps: SABRINA P. I stared at the paper, not believing it was actually for me. I took it and opened it to find a short note:

I hope your test went well. Have a great week!

It wasn't signed. I couldn't believe it. My spirits soared!
I walked right past the screen with the scores on it. I didn't look. I didn't need to.

I smiled all the way home.

When my head finally came down from the clouds, I realized that maybe I had taken someone else's note. I mean, I am sure there is more than one Sabrina at my school! But then I thought, no, I am pretty sure that was for me. Then I started to try to guess who had done it. It was definitely in boy handwriting, with the block pencil letters on the front. But, I hadn't told ANYONE that I was going to take that test...

...except...

YOU! I remembered! It was you!

After that, we still talked and sat by each other and the semester went on. I always wanted to ask you if you had written the note to me. I was DYING to know if you did. I was totally convinced at some moments that it was you and then at other times I out-convinced myself. I NEVER brought it up. So stupid, I know.
I guess I was scared of having to bring it up because it would be like telling a huge big secret--saying something so special that would be ruined if I said anything.
But I guess what I was scared of most was hearing you say that it wasn't you.

But I know that it was. I have known for years.

So Fred, it comes to this: THANK YOU! You have no idea what that little note did for me that day. It saved my life! I never got to tell you and I have been regretting not telling you ever since. I am so grateful to you. I know that after that semester we went our separate ways and haven't seen each other since. But you can be assured that when I do see you again (maybe in the next life, who knows?) I will give you a HUGE hug and thank you properly.

THANK YOU!

Love,

Sabrina

p.s.--I still have the note. It reminds me that even the smallest acts of kindness can make the greatest difference. You taught me that Fred, thanks!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your idea for your project! It's so true that there are so many little things people do for us that make a much larger impact than they ever know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts