Zone Conference

My dear family,~

Greetings from Oeiras! This week has been really awesome. First of all, last Tuesday we had Zone Conference. We had to go to another area, and on the way we got to ride in, I think, every kind of transportation possible: a bus, a train, a boat, and then a taxi. It was pretty fun. But, the best part was when we got there. We got so much advice from our Mission President--President Torgan and Irma Torgan. They really do love us and I can feel it. Plus, I can understand most of what they say because Brazilian accents are so much easier to understand! So, I was basically excited that I didn´t need a translator to understand what was going on.

President Torgan talked to us about sanctification. Basically, a sanctified missionary does miracles while a normal missionary does work. (loosely translated :) I really liked this little slogan and I have been praying ever since to become sanctified. Basically I realized that this is the only time in my life that I will be set apart as a full-time missionary (while I´m young) and have all of this time to do the work of the Lord and learn from the scriptures. So, I am trying to use everyday to the fullest. Also, President Torgan talked about timidity and fear. He says that a lot of missionaries come to him and tell him that they are timid and that is just the way they are. He replies, "Good. You recognize your weakness. That is step one of repentance. Now you need to repent and strive never to be timid again". We all laughed at this, but there is real truth. We weren´t called to be timid. I can relate because I am trying to learn, so sometimes I feel timid, but I am becoming more bold by the day. That is what I love about the gospel--we can change, really.

Also, at Zone conference, President Torgan had all of the new missionaries bear their testimony. My old comp is in my zone and one other irma from the MTC, so it was so great to see them and talk to them (in English! basically I treasure those moments...until the day when it won´t matter if I am speaking Portuguese or English to express myself). Anyway, I bore my testimony, and I just want to say that the gift of tongues is definitely real! I know that I have said this before, but it is amazing to me how it keeps coming back to me, especially when I get up and bear my testimony. I felt like I could speak very fluently without pause or correction. It was amazing! Afterwards President Torgan got up and asked if I had ever spoken Portuguese before the mission. I said no and then he said that I was an example. Can you believe that? Basically, it wasn´t all me. I had lots of help :) But I learned that if I am humble and I work my hardest, I can feel the power of Heavenly Father working through me.

Other exciting news...we had a wonderful baptism this week! It was so simple, but powerful, and I am so glad that I got to see the transformation in Jose. I really see a change in his countenance and his desire to understand the scriptures, get to know the members, go to church, and do what is right. Every time someone slams the door in our faces, I think of Jose and I am immediately reminded of why I am out here. It is such a blessing.

Also, we got a fridge! Apparently rumor got to Irma Torgan that we didn´t have a fridge and she freaked out because she is worried for our health. So, the assistants brought us a fridge! I am so excited to eat lots of good food now. Yesterday was my comp´s birthday. We ate at a member´s house--Irma Marisa Barroso. They have an amazing family and are so sweet to us. They are from Angola and my comp knew them before the mission. There are four children in the family: two girls and two boys. One of the boys and one of the girls really want to learn piano, so I was teaching them a little. Irma Marisa wants me to teach a class on playing the piano at church because a lot of people don't know how. (I have been playing the piano in Sacrament meeting). A lot of people have never had a real lesson. We'll see how that goes... Also, a member, Vera, ate with us. Vera is amazing! She is 25 years old and served a mission in Capo Verde. She is really sweet and fun. She comes with us to teaching appointments and has such energy for missionary work. She is probably my favorite person in Oeiras. I want to be just like her :)

Well, it sounds like everything at home is good, but busy. That is nice to hear. I hope everyone is doing well. Keep being active in the church and going strong! Seriously, it means everything. I hope all the traveling is safe.

Young Womens sounds amazing--parabens! Oh, and I can just imagine the mulch story...haha. Oh, and that is really cool all the missionary stories you heard at conference. Basically, amazing things happen in the Lord's work.

Thank you for absolutely everything. Everyday I become more and more grateful for the amazing family and friends that I have enjoyed, the way I have grown up, and the knowledge that I have because of all of the wonderful people in my life. Thank you, you have no idea what your influence has done for me and is still doing for me.

Much love until next week,

Irma Perez

p.s. Yes, I really do miss peanut butter...:) But, I am surviving. It just makes me all the more grateful for it.

Comments

Popular Posts