Transferred to the Azores!

City of Ponta Delgada

My dear family,~

WOW! I have so much to tell you...basically the big news is: I got transferred! Yeah, I can hardly believe it, but wait ’til you hear the story: On last Monday afternoon, our phone rang and my trainer (Irma Nkutxi) told me to answer it. I looked down at the number and saw it was President. So, I answered and he talked to me for a little bit. He then said that I was getting transferred...to the Azores!

Map of the Azores
City of Ponta Delgada on the Island of Sao Miguel is circled


Yeah, I was kind of in shock. What? He said that I was going to be working with Irma Howard in the Azores. He then talked to Irma Nkutxi and told her she was going to be transferred to Lapa (in Lisboa) and working with Irma Alves (French missionary). Irma Nkutxi would greenie-break her (first comp after trainer). So, I was just kind of shocked for a little bit. I finished writing that letter to Bishop and then Irma Torgan called. She said that we would have to leave that night, so we had to pack our bags. Irma Nkutxi had already pretty much packed her bags, but I had not even started. Oh, and by the way, I could only take one bag to the Azores. Yeah...but Irma Nkutxi wanted to say good bye to everyone and we only had about 2 hours to do it. So, we ran around saying goodbye and by the time we got back, I only had half an hour to pack my bags and choose what I wanted to bring to the Azores. The secretaries picked us up and drove us to Lapa where we spent the night with irmas there. Then the next morning I had a 7 o'clock flight to Ponta Delgada on the island of Sao Miguel. Yeah, talk about crazy...But, it all worked out. I got everything packed and I flew out to Sao Miguel and now I am here! And it is beautiful! The island is awesome :)

Island of Sao Miguel

So, I have a new address:

Rua Nova de Misericordia
Nº 266 1º Esq.
9500 Ponta Delgada
Sao Miguel
Açores

You can also send letters or whatever else to the mission office:

Rua Jorge Barradas
Nº 14C 1500 Lisboa
Portugal

So, I know that you will all have lots of questions about the Açores, so ask away! I guess one thing that is funny about the Açores is that there are some American products here that are not on the continent, so that is kind of funny to see. Also, a lot more people speak English here because I guess it is closer to America. The branch is absolutely awesome. President Resendes is the Branch president and he works so hard and really loves missionary work. He is working on giving us references. We just had a meeting this past weekend about Conselho de Ramo (I don't know what it is called in English, but basically that meeting you have with the leaders of the branch about missionary work--is it branch council?). Anyway, I am excited because apparently they never had one before, so we are working hard to help train the church out here because it is very young.

One thing that is very notable about the Açores is the accent. The accent is very different from the continent. Just as I was understanding the accent of the continent, I get transferred :) No, but it is good...I am getting used to it. Basically, it sounds more French here and they accentuate different things. It is very fun. The branch is impressed that I have only been out for 6 weeks because I got to teach Relief Society yesterday, so they really heard me speak a lot. A lot of them thought that I was from Brazil. Apparently I have a Brazilian accent.

We work in basically three areas: Ponta Delgada (we share the city with elders that are in our branch), Sao Roque,



and Faja de Baixo.



There are a lot more areas in our boundaries, but they are very far and the only way to get to them is by bus, which takes about 2 hours more or less, so we just walk on foot to the three areas around the chapel area. One day we might venture farther, but we are trying to work with the people in this area to get them to church and get the church strong here.

My companion is great :) She is American and I actually knew her before the mission--she was in my freshman ward at BYU. She is studying Marriage family and human development and has lots of musical talent. I just love working with her and I am excited about the work that we will be able to do together.

The weather on the island is always a mystery. One day it will be sunny and the next day cold and rainy, so it is kind of tricky. But, it is really beautiful. Probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. And our apartment is way nicer than the small apartment we were in in Oeiras. I do admit that I was kind of sad to leave Oeiras to a whitewash, but I know that the irmas that are serving there will do a great job. I have lots of work to do here and I am excited to get started. I have a feeling that I will be here for awhile since it is kind of expensive to send missionaries over here--the ones who do get sent usually stay for a long time, so I will probably be here until my birthday (I'm guessing...)

Sorry, I didn't get to go to the office when I got transferred, so I still haven't gotten my package, but I will this weekend because President Torgan and others are coming here for Zone conference, so I will probably get it then. Thanks for sending everything for me!

That's exciting that Maggie and Alex will be coming out there soon. Say hi to them for me. I hope finals go well for them. We were just thinking the other day that this is the transfer that I will get to talk to you all! That will be fun...I am looking forward to that.

Anyway, I am glad that everyone is doing great. I really want to hear how New York was for Summer. I love you all--to the moon and back,

Your Irmã Perez

Comments

Popular Posts