Come to Zion

This is a postcard Sabrina sent to Summer this week.

(Sorry for the delay. We were on vacation.)

Hey, hey familia e amigos!

Another great, fantastic, beautiful week on the island with the best comp ever! We have been having such a great time working together. (don't worry, we really do work :)

I think that Heavenly Father gives us different challenges every transfer. Since our companionship is so awesome, of course, this is when the work is getting taken up to the next level. But, we are seeing miracles. A couple of weeks ago, Irma Morrison and I were walking down a road with no one on it. I was getting frustrated that we hadn't seen anyone in awhile to contact, so I turned to Irma Morrison and said, “I just wish we had someone on the road to contact now.”

After I said it, I could see a man in the distance. He looked worn out of life and not very happy. I didn't feel very strongly that he would accept our message, but I just looked up to the sky and said, “OK, Pai Celestial, I'll contact this man.” So, I went right up to him and started talking to him. Once he realized that we were missionaries from the church he told us that he was a member of the church and he was baptized 16 years ago and had long ago fallen away. But, he said that he wanted to come back and that he wanted his wife to be baptized. Yeah, basically I keep learning that I know absolutely nothing about who will or will not accept our message. So, we are teaching him (Antonio) and his wife (Paula) and she is reading in the Book of Mormon and loving it. They came to church yesterday and really liked it. So, we just have to convince her to get baptized here soon...It is hard to help people realize that baptism is the first step--not the last. Many people think that you have to wait for a LONG time before you can get baptized, which is simply not true. For those truly elect (like the many stories in the Bible and Book of Mormon), you just have to believe in Jesus Christ and want to follow him and his commandments. That is it. Simple. The truth is becoming more black and white as the days go by. Really, baptism is the first step. But, without it, you cannot be saved. Once we really understand that, we will want everyone we know to be baptized because we will want to see them in the Celestial Kingdom with us. As much as I can preach and teach, if I do not baptize then they will not be saved. Salvation is kind of a big deal--that's basically what I have been learning. So, I am working on that for the rest of my life.

Also, another cool story: Irma Morrison and I had a long day of looking yesterday--knocking doors, making contacts. We weren't finding much and we said a prayer. We both felt good about a couple of streets in the city and went there to knock doors. As we were walking up the particular street, all we could see were businesses--no houses. We kept walking and walking for about 10 minutes with only businesses. I thought, “Great--what a waste of time. I'm supposed to be teaching right now!” But, like always, Pai Celestial has a different plan. We finally found a door to a house. We knocked and a young man poked his head out of the upstairs window (this is way normal and usually is a sign that they don't want to talk to you because they don't want to go down to the front door to face you.) He started talking to us and said, “Oh wait, I'll come down.” He and his older brother came to the door and said they had both already gone to church before (in different countries) and said they would come to the baptism of the branch president's daughter this week. They accepted the Book of Mormon and wanted us to come back. They really wanted us to come in and teach them, but unfortunately, a woman wasn't there. But, we were excited to find them. They seem like great young men. So, I basically learned that Heavenly Father has a purpose in everything even when we cannot see it.

Sorry for blabbing. Long letter this week. President Torgan is coming to the island this week and we are having Zone conference on Friday! Yay! I'm excited. He is such a great president. I learn so much from him every time I hear him speak.

It sounds like the week was fun and exciting with lots of hanging out and doing fun things. Have fun on your trip to North Carolina! Thanks for sending me a line from Lynda...I've been waiting to hear from her...:) jk.

Oh! I almost forgot. I wanted to tell you that there is a phrase in Portuguese that people use when they are talking about sacrifice that reminded me of what I wanted to tell you when you mentioned your lesson on sacrifice: Sacrificio--deixar algo bom para algo melhor, which means to leave behind something good for something better. Kind of like the Oaks Good, Better Best talk. People say it a lot here. I think it is cool. Just something to think about...

Anyway, have a great week. I love you all and think about you often. Thank you for your prayers. I see miracles everyday because of them. :)

Fica bem,

Com amor,

Irma Perez

p.s.--the weather is hot and humid, but really, we have island breezes so it is quite nice. On the continent it is way hotter I think. So, basically I am in paradise right now :)

Comments

Popular Posts