To whom much is given

Azores
Dear Family,

The island is still great. The missionaries have been having a lot of success because the branch is finally coming together. We got a new mission leader (Bruno) who is 25 and served his mission in Lisbon a few years ago. He is great. Also, the branch presidency is really committed to helping the missionaries now and this transfer we have been seeing a lot of success. We also have been discussing the branch goals for this next year. The branch's old goal of baptizing was 6 people in one year. We, as missionaries, obviously have a different vision. We proposed that the goal be changed to 40 baptisms. At first, I think the branch was a little taken aback, but with prayer and a change of vision, they accepted the goal and since then we have had already five baptisms in one month in our branch. I know that with a little vision and fire, missionary work really takes off if everyone does their part.

The cool story of this week: Duarte. We met him two weeks ago when we were out in an area and had a couple of appointments. Unfortunately all of the appointments fell through and it started raining. We were under a cover by an apartment building trying to figure out what we were going to do (kind of being mad that it was raining because it is always so much fun to do looking in the rain :) when Duarte came under the cover too to wait out the rain. We started talking to him and realized he knew lots of members in the church. He had interest to learn more. We met with him at our chapel and he told us about his long, hard life and how he wants to change--a new beginning. After a couple more meetings, we asked him to be baptized and he was. Afterwards he couldn't stop smiling--he knew that all of the things he had done in the past and had happened in the past were washed away. It was a great miracle to see. He changed completely only within a couple of days because he had the will to--missionary work is awesome! AND, now whenever it starts raining I don't complain anymore because you never know when you are going to run into an elect--even in the rain.

Well, transfers are today and I will find out if I stay on the island or leave, so i might be in another area this week. Stay tuned for next week's letter...:)

To answer poppy's questions about food: We eat rice, beans, potatoes, soups, fish and things like that. Our investigator, Manuel, loves making dinner for us (he is from Cape Verde) and makes fish every time with rice or potatoes. But, the food is pretty good. I have gotten used to it. I admit that at first I was not a fan, but it is amazing how you adapt. I am pretty sure I can eat practically anything now. ( Which must be funny to hear, seeing as how 15 years ago I would only eat bread). But we all have to grow up sometimes.

The pizza is not very good here--one thing that I miss from America. I look forward to that day. But, they do have hot dogs here on the Açores. They call them cachorros quentes (hot pigs) and they put fried potatoes, cole slaw, mayonnaise, and ketchup on them. They are pretty good. They also have pineapple soda here called Kima that is only on this island. You can't find it anywhere else. They also have chocolate cookies called Mulatas that Irma Morrison and I are addicted to. They are kind of like chocolate graham crackers but so much better. Hope that satisfies the questions of food. When it is just us, we usually cook pasta, rice, or just eat sandwiches and take a nap :) (you know me).

Well, it's been a great week and I am still loving it. Thanks for everything.

Oh, PS— HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to Maggie and Alex. I hope it was great and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Summer this upcoming week. Sorry I can't be there to celebrate with you, but know that I am definitely thinking about you. I was thinking the other day that one year ago this last week I got my mission call, got to go through the temple, and see Maggie and Alex get married. What a great week. It has also been a great week this year. Love you all,

Irma Perez

Comments

Popular Posts