Baptism is the beginning, not the end

Azores
Dear Everyone,

Well, another week has passed in paradise. :) It was good. Nothing too exciting happened. We have been working with a couple of people to try to get them baptized, so we are really praying for them:

The first is Tiago, who is marked for this weekend. He has gone to church a lot and still has some doubts, but I think he'll be fine. He likes the other youth in the branch, but they have been at the temple the past week, so it will be good to teach with them once they get back.

We have also been teaching a middle-aged Angolan man who is very nice. His name is Santos and he used to be really Catholic, but he is really progressing. He said he wanted to be baptized, but that he has to think about it...

Also, Renato's mom, Pilar, is also thinking about baptism. She knows it is a big change, and she wants to make sure it is right.

What I think is interesting is that a lot of people think that baptism is the end goal, but in reality, it is only the beginning. There are many more things to learn after baptism--especially since you have a new friend--the Holy Ghost.

Beyond that, it has just been really hot and humid like always. Ironic seeing as how it is September...But I guess that is normal here.

The members are getting into missionary work here. I love it! Bruno, our branch mission leader, is having Preach My Gospel classes with the new ward missionaries and he is teaching them how to help in lessons with the missionaries and what the order of the lessons are. Also, the members are really getting into feeding us. Yesterday we went over to our branch president's house with the Elders and Bruno and it was like a big party. Missionaries are really loved wherever they go, so just know that I am in very good hands. Keep loving the missionaries out there--they need all of the help they can get!

Anyway, it was great to hear from you all as always. Good luck with the start of school and seminary. D&C is really awesome! I am reading it now, too. It's got some fun stories and really good inspiration. And I think it is easier to read in Portuguese than the Bible.

The mission is doing really great in general. Since our mission is leading Europe in baptisms, they gave us a new district of 20 missionaries last transfer. So, lots of elders were excited to train. So, the pressure is on to do even better this month with all of the new missionaries. But, last month we had 50 baptisms and we are expecting even more this month. (That is more than one baptism every dupla of missionaries, so it is pretty good :) President Torgan is basically amazing and has lots of vision for the mission.

Love you all and hope everyone is doing great.

Love,
Irmã Pérez

p.s.--I have enough money for things usually with what the mission gives us. If I need something else, I just use my debit card. Sorry, I have no idea how much money I have. So, I hope I am not going over.

Comments

Popular Posts