Life without planners


My dear family,

I enjoyed hearing about the Christmas Tree. You'll have to send me a picture. Let's see...things for Christmas...Well, if it's not too much to ask--I would like to have some American toothpaste--Crest mint if you could. I discovered that Portuguese toothpaste has much to be lacking and can be confirmed by observing the state of teeth of the Portuguese people. I started sharing my American toothpaste with Irmã de Almeida and she is completely converted. Also, peanut butter is always appreciated :) But, if it is too inconvenient, don't worry. I can survive without it...it's funny how your prissy little girl is getting toughened out on the mission.

Sounds like Christmas is in full swing. It definitely is here. The weather is COLD! But, it is not unbearable. I don't know if I prefer the pouring down rain or the freezing cold...it's kind of a toss up. But, the hearts of the people are being softened for sure. I love the Christmas season! So special. Christmas is pretty big here, so it has been a good week.

Irmã de Almeida and I are seeing lots of miracles...starting with the conversion of a wonderful family...

Remember that Brazilian family that I talked about with a mom named Nilma that has three kids (Dara, Junior, Hugo)? Well, we had a zone meeting this week and part of the meeting was us making plans on who we would baptize this past week. We didn't have anyone marked and we were discovering that none of our investigators were progressing. We were trying to think so hard on who it could be. After we prayed we both felt like we should try Nilma again and that this week was her week. She had already been to church 4 times and we had taught her everything. She just didn't realize the importance of it all. She didn't realize the difference the gospel could make. So, we dropped her...until last Wednesday. We went to her house. She happily greeted us. We started talking and it looked like nothing had changed in her. But, we just started testifying of Jesus Christ and why Nilma needed Christ in her life. I started thinking about Nilma as a daughter of God and thinking of what she needed to hear from Heavenly Father: principally that He loves her and that He is here for her with his arm extended. Nilma is a single mother and has to work and raise three children on her own. I started to think of her worries and preoccupations in life. Irmã de Almeida and I testified and invited her to be baptized that weekend. She accepted with tears in her eyes because she knew that we were not asking her--it was God who was asking her. I felt the spirit so strong and felt grateful that God had trusted us as his servants to invite his daughter to be baptized. I know I lack in so many things--principally faith, but I feel eternally grateful for moments like that when I know that Heavenly Father is opening my eyes to the potential of his children and my heart to feel the love that He has for them.

Nilma was baptized on Sunday. Her children came. It was really special. Her son Junior said he wants to be baptized next week. Funny how during a planning session we had last week that we felt he would be...God always prepares a way :) This baptism was especially great for me because I remember when I found Nilma and started to teach her. I have seen the amazing progression in her and am excited to see more.

With other not-so-exciting-and-actually-kind-of-funny-but-really-horrible news:
Yesterday before the baptism I lost my planner. I felt so stupid because this has never happened to me before. (It has happened with all of my comps, but not with me). So, I was feeling down last night when we got home, but thought, we still have Irmã de Almeida´s planner. When we were going to start planning Irmã de Almeida couldn´t find her planner either...yeah, so we both lost our planners in one day. Kind of funny in the beginning...I couldn´t stop laughing. But then when the realization set in...kind of horrible. Oh well. I am learning to be more relaxed, flexible, and definitely more humble. But I have confidence it will all work out.

Sorry for blabbing. Life is great. Still working hard. I love you all. Thank you for your prayers and support. Always.

Love,

Irmã Pérez

Comments

Popular Posts