Choose Joy



My dear family,

First of all, I GOT YOUR PACKAGE! THANK YOU! But, most of all, Irmã de Almeida wanted to give a BIG thank you. She was so happy. I am pretty sure it was the best package that you sent with so many things for her. She loved absolutely everything. At the end of opening all of her presents she said, "Irmã, I think this is the most presents I have ever received in my life--more than 10 Christmases worth for me at least!" She was very grateful. She absolutely adores the hair clips you sent--they don't have them here and they are very "chic" here. She wears them everyday. She also loved the Cheez-its (she found it so rewarding that she was sharing her Cheez-its with me instead of the other way around--she found it so recompensing). I made her chocolate chip cookies with the new cups and brown sugar and chocolate chips (now I know why my cookies never turned out before--I was WAY off with the measurings...whoops!) She has been using the new toothpaste everyday and wondering when her teeth are going to look whiter...(if nothing else, it is a good psychological effect. We're pretty sure we both have whiter teeth now...) ha-ha it has been great. We broke our fast with stuffing, which is awesome as always. So, thanks family! You are the best! Always so willing to love whoever I love and take care of others.

Second of all, I have a big announcement: I think we just had our first normal baptism in this area! It has only taken 5 months to get there! But we did it! Guilherme (11 years old) was baptized on Saturday. He is so adorable. His grandmother was baptized the week before (Gildete) and Gui was baptized on Saturday. We had a fun time filling up the font...We realized that after 15 minutes the caldeira would stop working, so we would have to disconnect everything and then reset it and wait for the water to heat back up to turn it back on again. While this was happening, the warm water that we filled in the font was turning colder by the minute...oh well, so we had a lukewarm baptism. But Gui was completely excited. He even brought a friend from school with him. His parents came to the baptism as well. They really felt the Spirit. Gui even volunteered to say the closing prayer. It was completely beautiful. What 11-year-old that you know of would offer to say a prayer in public? Yeah, he's pretty elect. We all have the wonderful vision that he will serve a mission one day...that would be the biggest joy that I could experience. But, until then, we have to take good care of him.

I am realizing how important home and visiting teaching are on the mission. Probably because not many people do it here. Not that I am complaining, but I realize how much others truly need it. As much as I love being attached to people, I realize that I will not be here forever to nourish them. They NEED nourishment from others! So BADLY! Even the strong people need support. So, please! Do your home and visiting teaching--you have NO idea what a difference it makes. I know for me personally it makes all of the difference in the world.

We started a new program in our ward--it is called ABRE A TUA BOCA (or OPEN YOUR MOUTH). We made a bunch of cards with our number and the address of the church and we challenged each of our members to hand out one card a day for the month of February. It is going to be a competition of all of the members versus us. The youth got really into it (funny how just the word competition is such a motivation for young people...) So, we are excited for everyone to be sharing the gospel and inviting others to come to church. It will be fun to follow up with them...
That is about all. Other than that, I hope you all have an amazing Valentine's Day full of love and joy. I love you all, thank you for your support!

Love,

Irmã Pérez

Oh, p.s.--congrats to Melinda and Brent! That is awesome that they are going to have a baby! I wish them the best in everything.

p.p.s.--I always love the quotes and stories that you all share. Very inspiring. Thanks!

Comments

Popular Posts